In honor of Memorial Day, Americans should take time to remember fallen heroes who sacrificed their lives for our country. As a funeral director, you can make a difference in your community by observing this day of significant importance and encouraging members of your community to do the same.
Looking for ways to do this?
Here are a few ways funeral directors can observe Memorial Day.
- Fly a U.S. flag at half-staff until noon.
- Place U.S. flags in front of your funeral home and offer community decorations like patriotic wreaths and banners.
- Host a community event such as serving breakfast or lunch for veterans and their families or visit a local veterans’ home.
- Take part in the National Moment of Remembrance at 3:00 PM local time.
- Hold a memorial service for fallen heroes from your community and have uniformed military personnel play taps.
- Participate in your community’s Memorial Day parade by sponsoring the parade with other community partners, helping decorate a float, or designing a banner to walk with.
- Visit a National Cemetery and place flags at the graves of fallen soldiers (offer to transport community members to participate in this event).
- Hold a flag folding ceremony.
- Post a Memorial Day video to your company website and business Facebook page. (OGR members have exclusive access to premade videos.)
- Pass out flag pins to funeral home visitors in the week leading up to Memorial Day. (OGR members can purchase flag pins by calling (800) 637-8030.) This Memorial Day, let us all take some time out of our busy schedules to remember our nation’s heroes and reflect on the sacrifices of our men and women in uniform.
By Diane Durbin
OGR Membership Manager
How is your funeral home going to honor Memorial Day this year?